R. Kelly may soon wish he could fly.
The accused pedophile has been moved to general population in his Chicago lockup at his own request, according to prosecutors.
The “I Wish” singer was transferred out of a solitary housing unit Tuesday following an emergency motion from his attorneys saying their client had been unfairly treated behind bars because he was a celebrity.
The transfer sparked an irate letter from Chicago prosecutors, who claimed the embattled R&B legend wanted to be in solitary in the first place.
“Defendant stated that the MCC staff told him that he could ‘try it [general population] in a couple of days to see what it looked like but they can’t guarantee nothing,’” prosecutors wrote, quoting from a recorded phone call Kelly placed on July 19 from Chicago’s Metropolitan Correctional Center, where he’s awaiting trial on child porn charges.
“You know, and that’s why, I was like, hmmm, too many people up on you and I done seen too many movies, you know,” the crooner allegedly said on the call.
Prosecutors said prison officials planned for a safe move the moment Kelly first asked to leave solitary on Aug. 19.
“MCC staff did not deny the request, but rather started to review the general population housing options. In fact, MCC staff took steps to ensure a safe transition to general population by initiating a threat assessment to determine if there were any safety or security concerns with housing defendant in general population,” the filing reads.
Kelly’s defense attorneys made the emergency motion last Thursday, saying their client was getting no sunlight, no “meaningful interaction with other humans” and limited email and shower access.
But prosecutors countered by writing Tuesday that Kelly has had “three phone calls and seven social visits (not including attorney phone calls and visits)” following his July arrest, plus roomed with three different cellmates since Aug. 11.
He’s also had access to exercise three times weekly and been able to buy snacks — including a Snickers bar — from the commissary.
Defense attorney Steve Greenberg called prosecutors’ claims “ridiculous.”
“Once [prison officials] could assure his safety it was time to move him,” Greenberg said. “He has been a model inmate and should be treated with an appropriate level of respect and privilege, not as if he has misbehaved.”
Kelly is facing four sex crimes charges involving minors in three different states, including federal indictments in Illinois and Brooklyn.